Why should anyone buy from you?
When I was starting out in sales and marketing it was all about features and benefits and I had to analyse a sales brochure to identify the split between the two.
Luckily, I hadn’t produced the leaflet since it was scarily filled with features rather than benefits.
I think the easiest way to identify a benefit is to describe what you sell and then ask the question “so what?” and keep on asking to get to real and strongest way that you help people.
Websites are particularly places where features abound. You list your products or services but don’t really explain what the customer gets.
People only buy because you are helping them to fulfil a dream or desire or helping them address a fear.
Every aspect of communication
So, take a hard look at your website, what you are saying in your posts on Facebook or LinkedIn, what you say at networking or the blogs you post.
For example, so what that we offer business skills sessions, tools, group coaching and even personal coaching for crazy prices? What you need to know is that we:
- help you make more money and have more time for your family and life outside work;
> so what? well you have more choices and a better life
- give you a feeling of more control because you have practical tools to use;
> so what? so your stress and anxiety is reduced
- help you avoid making mistakes because of our experience;
> so what? well mistakes cost time and money and stress so you save on all this
- provide flexible support because you can access our business skills sessions and tools whenever you want when an issue arises or your diary suits, you’re in control;
> so what? so its like having advice and information in a really usable form available 24/7 so you don’t waste time searching the internet or have to delay doing something
> so what? so less stress and more time
- and in the group coaching you get a support network of fellow business people to share issues with and provide practical advice.
> so what? so you don’t feel alone
You see, people dream about having a better life and are scared of the loneliness of running a business as a solopreneur. But if we don’t help you and them make the link why would you or they join our club?